Does your basement feel damp, mold grows on the walls and the clothes and furniture are starting to look like spotty old bread? Well, that is what generally happens when home owners are not aware of excess moisture in the air of their homes, but now that you do, you know a good dehumidifier is the answer to your problems.
Hi, I’m Brian. I’m going to recommend good dehumidifiers for home users like you and me. In this blog I have covered most of the top rated dehumidifiers, from small dehumidifiers for your bathroom, to big ones for your basement or crawl space.
How to Choose the Best Dehumidifier
You would be better off choosing the right dehumidifier than choosing the best one. You’d start thinking about the price and fancy features whatnot, but actually you should be thinking of getting one that can do the job correctly and effectively. So before you go shopping for a dehumidifier, you’ve got to know the:
- Room Size – Whether it is your bedroom, basement or bathroom, find out how many square feet the space is. Consider that you might want to dehumidify more than one room.
- Humidity level and Temperature of Room – A psychrometer (hygrometer) can be used to check the humidity and a thermometer for the temperature. Some models of dehumidifiers do not work in low temperature, they will frost up and stop. Dehumidifiers designed for low temperature operation are more expensive.
Ok, now you have the technical information to shop for a dehumidifier.
Before deciding to buy any model of dehumidifier, check these important points:
- Capacity (how many pints per day)
- Auto defrost or frost guard if required
- Energy efficiency
- Level of sound
- Auto drain feature
- Size and design (to fit your room)
To make things easy, I’ve written a guide in which you can see what should be the capacity of the dehumidifier you need, as well as what dehumidifier features you should look out for. Do you know that the design of a dehumidifier also plays a role in its efficiency? Click here to go to my guide now.
If you know what features you want but don’t want to go through all the brands and models for the perfect one, no problem! I have some recommendations for you. Find out what are the top rated dehumidifiers for basement, small spaces, and small to medium to large bedrooms with my reviews below, or look at the Bestselling Dehumidifiers.
Best Dehumidifier for Your Home – Top Picks
Click on these quick links to see my recommendations or scroll down to see them all:
- Best Dehumidifier for Small Spaces – Great for bathrooms, musty closets and small storage spaces in the house that you need to keep dry.
- Best Bedroom Dehumidifier – A quiet dehumidifier for a small to medium size bedroom.
- Best Dehumidifier for Large Area – Value buy with washable air filter.
- Energy Saving Dehumidifier – Energy Star rated dehumidifier to save cost.
- Best Buy Dehumidifier – 70-pint dehumidifier at a great price.
- Best Gun Safe Dehumidifier – A dehumidifier to keep your guns dry.
Best Dehumidifier for Basement
Do you know that you need a basement dehumidifier with special features, and cannot just use any dehumidifier for the basement?
How to Choose a Basement or Crawl Space Dehumidifier
Well, the special feature I meant is the ability to operate in low temperature. The basement or crawl space is generally cooler than any other room in the house, which is why it is often used as a wine cellar. The thing is, normal dehumidifiers do not work properly in temperatures lower than 60 degrees F. The coils inside will freeze and then it will stop working.
The dehumidifier designed for low temperature operation has a few safeguards against this problem. It either has an anti frost system, or automatically defrosts itself, or both. Basement dehumidifiers are usually louder than normal ones, because the frost guard works by blowing hot air at the coils to prevent frosting, and the fan is the main source of the noise.
How do you choose the right basement dehumidifier for your basement then?
- Size of basement – The larger your basement, the larger capacity you need for a basement dehumidifier.
- Humidity level –The higher the humidity, the larger capacity you need. But if you have a small basement which is very wet, you may buy a unit with small capacity (not necessarily a small dehumidifier), although it will take longer to reduce the humidity to optimum level.
- Energy Star rated – Get one with the Energy Star label because it will consume less power and cut the bills.
- Dehumidifier with pump – If you want to drain the water through a hose rather than empty the bucket regularly, a dehumidifier with pump is a good idea. The pump lets you drain the water without having to set the dehumidifier at a higher level than the water output.
Basement Dehumidifiers – Top Picks
- Best Basement Dehumidifier – A Summary
- Best Basement Dehumidifier – My No.1 Pick
- Best Small Basement Dehumidifier
- Best Large Basement Dehumidifier
- Best Whole House Dehumidifier – Install this powerful whole house dehumidifier and never get wet basements again.
I expect you would want to read as many useful tips as you can before chucking in the cash, so hopefully you can find them in this site and my blog.
Other Tips and Guides for Dehumidifiers
I hope you can find your dehumidifier through my recommendations and reviews of dehumidifiers. Anyway I will also update this site and write some topics of interest about dehumidifiers now and then. Here are a few to start with:
- Reasons to Get a Dehumidifier
- Safety Measures for Your Dehumidifier
- How to Keep Your Dehumidifier Working
I know some people set a lot of store by the brands, so here are dehumidifiers according to brand name. I personally like Delonghi for their design, Frigidaire for their functionality and Soleus Air for their quiet operation. The prices are very competitive with all those brands around, so make sure you shop around before you decide on a particular model or even brand.
More Top Picks
- Frigidaire FAD704DUD
- DeLonghi DD50P
- Sunpentown SD-65E
- Keystone KSTAD70B
- Soleus Air DP1-30-03
- Eva-Dry EDV-1100
I will update my blog with more dehumidifier reviews and tips on choosing the right dehumidifier for your house use. Hope you found my reviews helpful and if you like my blog, do share it with your friends! Read this article if you like to know how dehumidifiers really work.